Do you remember the pleasures of scholarship? Uninterrupted time to read and mull over meanings, the slow unravelling of a complex train of thought, the thrill of an insightful new perspective? Remember when you took time to ponder, to stare into the distance while the ideas sank in? Remember thoughtful conversation, sharing new discoveries, debating and finding connections? Remember the pleasure of coaxing an idea onto paper, the luxury of careful re-writing to get it just right?
Slow scholarship, like slow food, is about valuing the process rather than the product. Reclaim scholarship! Take time out from the madness of students and managers to spend a week on that pile of reading; to becoming reacquainted with your thesis or your book. Use the time to explore a new area of research, to plan a sabbatical or just to breathe and daydream a little. Remember why you wanted to be a scholar.
Slow scholarship week at Better is time to savour the delights of old-fashioned scholarship. Each day will include a conversation about scholarship, time to work on your own stuff, time to share what you have read or are working on, and time to write.
- Monday: slow scholarship in a fast-scholarship age
- Tuesday: the pleasures of reading
- Wednesday: mapping and talking about knowledge
- Thursday: asking interesting questions
- Friday: crafting a meaningful research agenda
The week will be facilitated by Judy Backhouse, an Associate Professor in Information Systems with a research interest in postgraduate education. She has run research writing retreats, postgraduate training and staff development workshops at Monash South Africa and at Wits.
Better is a beautiful space with warm rooms to write in, a sunny balcony and a large garden. Find your favourite spot, grab the free WiFi and settle in. There are snacks, good coffee and a wide range of teas whenever you want them.
- Where: Better, 91 Oxford Road, Saxonwold (entrance in Englewold Road)
- When: Monday 27 November to Friday 1 December, 9am to 5pm
- Cost: R550 to attend for the week. Add R500 to have lunch provided each day or bring your own if you prefer.
For more information call 011 327 6098 or email email@example.com.
Book on Quicket or pay by EFT and email us your details.
Book before the 20th November to secure your place.