Thanks to everyone who answered our survey. Thought we’d share some of the results with you.
We now know that fast internet, safe parking and a quiet work space are really important for Better. Tea, coffee and cake also ranked highly! You are keen to attend exhibitions and discussions on doing things better, as well as book launches and readings.
The best part was reading your wish-lists of what you want to see at Better. You gave us comments about the space…
- “A good working environment, not too hot or cold, not too harsh and light, or cosy and dark. Just balance.”
- “Lots of tables and chairs/benches in a relaxing garden, with access to power points”
- “Individual spaces with comfortable lounge chair and open space to view outside – I cannot be creative in a closed space – to be on top of building with no restrictions – rooftop sitting on lounge chair able to look at the sky in summer and in winter glass doors to look outside – summary comfy sofas, view and private space or semi-private space”
- “Affordable for-hire equipment for photography and street art”
- “Most craft implements”
- “Pantone books”
- “3D printer. Laser engraver/cutter. Milling machine. Lathe.”
And about services…
- “Access to a curated database of other local creative suppliers e.g. laser cutters, bookbinders, printers, 3D printers, stationery stores, copywriters, open mic events, instrument stores, etc.”
- “Healthy lunch options so I don’t need to worry about organising food when I’m super busy”
- “A nice place to take clients to for meetings or the ability to easily book secluded space – without exorbitant costs”
Lots of people want to learn…
- “Sharing and learning of different skills, not necessarily in my profession.”
- “Workshops or short lessons to learn new skills, e.g.: typography, printing fundamentals”
- “The feeling of learning. At varsity when you enter a library you automatically feel inspired as so many people are learning so many things. Where work places struggle is to replicate this feeling of inspiration.”
And you recognise the value of other people…
- “People to talk to and get perspective from”
- “People with experience in getting freelance work published”
- “Angel investors and donors for my next creative project—every artist’s dream!”
Not sure that we can provide for all your wishes right up, but it convinces us that there are enough people out there who share our interest in having just the right environment for thinking, connecting and creating.
When and where?
Most people said they would visit two or three times a week between the hours of 9 am and noon, with a fair number also keen to attend in the evenings. Many of you are willing to drive up to 10 km or to the next suburb.
We had great fun plotting the suburbs you live and work in on a map of Johannesburg. There were large numbers in Melville and Greenside, but also many in Randburg. From our map we plotted out a circle of suburbs that would put most people within a suburb or two of our location.
We have done the sums and based on the interest you have shown, it looks like Better will be viable. So now we are out hunting for a suitable property. Watch this space, we will let you know our progress.
Thanks to all who connected with us. If you want to make sure you hear about the next steps, get on our mailing list here. Please continue to send your good ideas, feedback and thoughts. We love hearing from you.