Trying to finish your thesis?
Conference deadline looming?
…we can make it Better
Better is a place for people who do creative work that is often solitary, to get together to work, share and relax. This makes it an ideal place for academics to escape from the bustle and interruptions of campus, to focus on research writing.
Working together with other writers makes writing easier because
- there is camaraderie,
- there is some social pressure to sit down and write
- it’s inspiring to work with other writers
- there are fewer distractions – you can’t go and stack the dishwasher
- and when you get stuck, coffee and a chat can help you to get unstuck.
Think of Better as your permanent writing retreat, a place to drop in and write at any time. You could use Better
- once a week to make a habit of research writing
- for a week or two when you have a paper to prepare
- for two or three days when you are chasing a deadline
- every day to make the most of your sabbatical
- to attend a workshop to inspire you now and then
- to run a workshop, on a writing theme
Better has cosy rooms with tables and chairs to work at, armchairs to read in, free Wi-Fi, books and curated information on research writing, as well as other resources for writing. The venue is homely, warm and welcoming, with a large garden. There is free tea and coffee. Lunches can be ordered in, or taken at a leisurely pace at one of the many nearby restaurants. It’s located along Oxford Road, between Killarney and Rosebank.
Better supports slow scholarship, the idea that, like slow food, good writing (and thinking) must be “carefully prepared, with fresh ideas, local when possible, and is best enjoyed leisurely”. The process is respected here, more than the product. There is aso a programme of workshops and events for learning and sharing.